Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring Break

Spring break this year turned out to be a fun, productive week.
I started the week off with a big family meeting.  
I told them we were going to use this week to get some good spring cleaning done.  
Our goal was to get up early, get our spring clean project done and then 
go out on a family adventure together before Ry had to leave for work.  
We had talked about going away somewhere, but it just didn't feel like the right time so I was worried the kids would be disappointed, but they were awesome.  I loved how they asked me every morning what the adventure was.  I never told, I just said "you'll have to see"!  :)  
 The first day we did some yard work.  The boys mowed the lawn, Becca cleaned up the yard toys and swept the patio.  For the adventure we went to this cool skate park.  It has hills and turns and is just perfect for skateboards, scooters and bikes.  They all loved it and it didn't cost a dime, other than the fruit and trail mix we brought along.  We did stop at McDonalds on our way home for a .50 ice cream cone.  (can't believe its this hot for spring already)  When we got home the kids were free to play and have fun.  It was a win win for everyone.
 Day two: We organized the kitchen pantry and cupboards.  It's so interesting to me how the kitchen can be clean but knowing that my cupboards are unorganized can just nag at me and help me not enjoy the clean kitchen.  We had this junk drawer that just felt so good to organize.
For the adventrue we envited friends over and had a pizza/night games party.  Anyone who had nerf guns brought them and they had a pretty intense game of ghost in the graveyard with a nerf twist.  These kids are so hilarious and such a great bunch.  After a few games outside, they came in and played some board games.  The older kids played some x-box as well.
 Day three:  We went through our closets and got rid of clothes we don't need anymore.  All of my kids have grown sooo much this year.  Can't believe how big they are getting.  crazy.  For fun we went to Peter Piper Pizza.  Miss B won a ball from the Claw game all by herself.  I was so impressed.  Those are so hard.  Little Miss thought it was for her.  {B} was so sweet with her and let her have it.  The boys all had fun playing and competeing against each other.  They earned a ton of tickets and had fun picking their prizes.  Little Miss got her very first sucker and boy did she love it.
 Day Four: We cleaned out the cars.  Its amazing how fast they get trashed.  Ry's work had a special show for all Phoenix PD families.  They brought in animals from the San Diego zoo.  It was really cool to get to be up so close and personal with them.  Miss {B} really loved it and asked some of the best questions.  Wonder if she'll end up working with animals?!  
 Day Five:  The kids went over to a ward members home and pulled weeds for him.  I was so proud of them and their hard work.  Afterwards we rented a big huge blow up slide.  I wanted a water slide, but they don't let you use water on them til may.  Oh well, they still had fun.  We had lots of friends over and I loved watching them do all kinds of flips and tricks.

Needless to say I was super sad to have them go back to school.  They were such great helpers.  I LOVE having fun things planned so they have fun.  I hate hearing we're bored so I made sure I had plenty planned to avoid that.  It makes me excited for summer.  I went in to the school tuesday and talked with the principal about the 2nd grade curriculum.  I am excited to plan out our summer school, adventures and vacations.  Only 44 schools days left!!!