Saturday I ran in a 10K relay with some of the ladies in my ward.
Can I just say I LOVE this ward.
They are SO good to include EVERYONE, young and old and they are always putting fun things to do together.
The Day of the race was a huge disaster. LOL, but it was fun. We got there at 7:30. Then it was delayed an hour cuz of a big wind storm so they decided to redo the route. (Which, why they didn't just move the branches is still a mystery to us). So...by the time that we got to start we were already super HOT and TIRED. There is a reason why AZ races start early and 7:30 was considered a late race. Anyway...It was a relay so everybody had a different length to run. I some how got nominated for the longest leg so I was running just over a mile. I have been training and my only goal for the whole day was to just keep running, no walking. Didn't care if I came in last, I just wanted to run. Well...things were going well, I went third on the team and I started out strong. I had a stop watch and kind of kept track of that knowing how long it takes for me to go a miles. Well...after that time came and went I was feeling a little defeated. Why was it taking so long??? There were a lot of hills so that could be it. Oh well, I just cranked up the music and kept going. and going and going....it took FOREVER!!! I kept thinking ok, after I turn this street surely I will find my team mate. Nope, maybe the next street, nope ok for sure the next....NOPE. I seriously thought I was off course, but clearly I was following the cones and the runners waaaaay a head of me. FINALLY I saw my team mate waiting. UGGHHH...hardest run of my life. Well...our team came in dead last, but that was ok. I was on the team "Turtles Unite" afterall and I was the only one running on my team. The others walked. I specically wanted a non competetive team so it was a perfect fit for me. Well....after I made my way back to the finish line I was soooo overheated dehydrated and seeing spots. Didn't want to make a big deal out of it to anyone, but I seriously thought I was going to die. I got some water and stood in the shade and started feeling a little better. Well...Sunday as I was talking to some of the other ladies I found out the course was soooo messed up, that the third runners (yours truly) ended up running almost 5 miles. HUH??? Are you kidding me. I knew it was longer than the 1 1/4 they told me it would be but really 5 miles. I suddenly felt a whole lot better about my running abilities and even a little proud of myself for sticking with it, espeically without ever running that far before. I can honestly say I am SOOOO glad it is over though.
