Tuesday, March 29, 2011

5, 4, 3, 2, 1......BLAST OFF!!!

Saturday was Jaden's birthday. Of all the parties we've done I think this was one of my favorites. When the guest arrived they got to decorate their own flying saucers with stars and alien stickers. . (Two paper bowls 1 red 1 blue stapled together) They turned out adorable. I had told Christy about the flying saucers and she came up with the idea to cut a whole in the top and have that be where they put their prizes from the games. I LOVED that idea, and that's what we did. I made a huge rocket and command station for the kids to play with and it was a huge hit. Next we played a game where they had to put on dish gloves and add a nut and washer to a bolt all under water to help them see what it's like for the astronauts to work in their suits. Ryan spinned them all in the computer chair and then they had to get up and walk to a gigantic moon we had drawn in the driveway. We did a shooting star toss (A ball with tissue paper on it wrapped with a rubberband) they had to try and land on one of the sidewalk chalk stars while standing in the moon. We had a spray the alien game with a giant rocket squirt gun, a balancing game while on the trampoline and alien, alien astronaut duck duck goose style. The cake was really cute. Thanks to my mom who was patient with all of my many questions I had. I made 6 mini cakes and frosted them. They started to fall when I got the 4th one on so Ryan quickly grabbed some wood and a dowel and drilled them together. He covered the base wood with a cut-up plastic table cloth then we stuck the cakes down the dowel. It worked like a charm. I made a cone top out of paper (my mom's suggestion) for the rocket and the fins were made out of red fun foam. We sprinkled m&m's on the wood and at one point some of the kids stuck them on the cake. :) They all were so cute and LOVED the cake espeically when we lit the candles and it looked like the rocket was getting ready to blast off. Jaden is such a sweet sweet boy and we are so blessed to have him in our family. Happy Birthday, J-frog!!!