We usually go to Utah for Thanksgiving, but this year it wasn't in the budget. We just had an IUI treatment in hopes to get pregnant the beginning of November (it didn't work, btw) and that took any extra funds we had. Anyway that's a whole other post. Despite being disappointed about missing our annual trip home and not being pregnant we decided to make the best of it.
I was going to try and get a group of other people without family to celebrate together with but late Sunday night I did not feel well. I was up all night and was really hurting by Monday. Finally I got into the doctor and found out I had strep. The next day Jaden woke up with it too. Becca was sick too but thankfully it was not strep. So Jaden and I were down and in bed for 3 days. Sweet Ryan took off work and stayed home and took care of us all.
By the time Thursday rolled around we had been on antibiotics and felt so much better. Ryan's buddy dug a huge fire pit and we along with 6 other families slow roasted our turkeys in his pit. They were the juiciest most tender turkeys I have ever ate.
I decided it would be fun to have everyone in charge of one specific thing. So Ry did the bird, and it was divine! Jaden brought home a cute paper from school and the thing he is most looking forward to at thanksgiving is ______________. He put Smashed potatos. :) so naturally I had him in charge of those. They were very tasty.
Kyle was in charge of the rolls. It is so fun that he can cook all by himself and he loves to follow a recipe. We did our favorite Mock Magleby rolls and they were fabulous.
Since green bean casserole is just a dump and stir kind of recipe I knew Becca would be do great with that. You could tell she just loved every second of it. And really did it all by herself. Even down to putting the tin foil on and putting it in the fridge til it was time to bake.
This year instead of just going around saying what were are thankful for we asked them why. At first I think they thought that we were being silly but as we kept saying why is that important to you I think they were able to appreciate things a little more. It was really neat. Definately a traditon I want to keep.
Later that day we went to the Movies and watched Mega Mind. It was really cute and the kids loved it. Then we came home and had some pie and just enjoyed being silly and playing games and such with each other. I asked the kids if they wanted to go to Utah next year or stay home and I was a little surprized when they all said stay home. We really do have a lot of fun with each other and I appreciate the sweet little memories we are building in our own little family. I truly am blessed beyond measure!



